Historic South Bound Brook

South Bound Brook borders Piscataway township and has proven to be a town of great legend and lore in the Rutgers vicinity. The famous “Battle of Bound Brook” which took place during the American Revolution in April, 1777 has left its mark on the area as there are many little nooks and crannies in the otherwise heavily industrialized that beg for investigation. The dauntless RR Team recently went down low on South Main Street and investigated some spots under the old stone bridge and along the banks of the rippling Raritan where echoes of the warring Redcoats and Colonialists can still be heard (or at least the honks of a few stray geese).

There were two structures in particular that the Team found curious. Both appeared to be some sort of old sewage or electrical outposts where the barbed wire fencing did little to halt the graffiti efforts of a local crew. These two strange buildings did not seem to be regularly maintained or in use, but they definitely had visitors at one point as there was a lot of garbage strewn about and one member of the Team found an entrance/manhole spot which suggested that the structure was hollow (and who knows what could be inside?). Overall, the entire area had a strange desolate, abandoned feel that could best be similarly compared with the Union Carbide account.


The picturesque site and remains of the Battle of Bound Brook cast a heavy presence on the region.

The RR team reflects on the serenity of the site where detailed information is provided about the battle on April 13th, 1777.

A strange rickety fence still stands at the battle site. A large orb is noticed - perhaps from revolutionary times?

Blue and yellow hues track the rapids under the bridge.

One of the strange structures overlooking the river.

Grids on one of the interesting structures hinting that there is more than meets the eye in the hollow structure. The intricate graffiti indicates a gang presence.

The doorway was found, but the question as to what lurks inside still remains.


©Rutgers Rarities and Unexplained Phenomena, 2005